Monday, May 26, 2014

That's Wierd

I knew I would love Adventure Time because the first episode had me leaning on the kitchen table, mouth agape, and chuckling to myself. This is a normal occurrence in my house and everyone else is used to a sudden, maniacal cackle erupting from a different room as they go about their business. They have become accustomed to me watching "weird" things that they think make little to no sense.

I floop the pig! (It makes sense, I swear.) source.
Being in a fandom or a geek means you get to go do things that others in the "normal world" find odd or outright strange. Dressing up for cosplay, shrieking at the television when your favorite character dies (again), and fawning over movie posters are just some of the things that get me sideways looks. One of my favorite quotes comes from one of the best geeks of them all--John Green. (He's also a really good writer, but he's mostly a geek.)

Image source

I remember the first time I saw Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. It was one of those movies that changed my life because it was beautiful in it's strangeness, and I am still surprised to this day that others find it too weird or even ugly. I mean, I guess I understand that people find the artistic style of the film ugly, but to me that's what makes it the MOST beautiful.

I'm confused when people don't find this gorgeous.
Everyone should have that one thing others find a little strange, and I hope you lovingly embrace the weird part of yourself and shrug off the naysayers. They don't get it, and that's their loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment